DIY Tips & Tricks: Giant Candyland Props!

I’ve been super busy that last couple weeks working on some party props for my little cousin’s 5th Birthday Party! It’s always was fun to work on projects that are out of my norm & learn new techniques to inspire me in my regular art!

My kitchen is still a bomb with left over materials from all the Paper Mache that I did, paint bottles strewn about, and an overall cluttered feel that all will be taken care of today. I like to tidy up the studio after the push of a big project & start fresh & new for my next project.

So here are just a few picts of some of the GIANT CANDY I made for her “Candyland” themed party. It was super fun coming up with ideas on how to make all these iconic candies!!

Candland Props 1 DIY Tips & Tricks: Giant Candyland Props!

I was really happy with how the lollypop turned out. It was made by hot gluing 2 pieces of Foam Pipe Insulation (available at Home Depot for like $1.00) in a spiral, then I painted it, and wrapped it in clear cellophane. The Pink Candy was super simple: just a couple paper plates hot glued together, then wrapped in some shiny wrapping paper!

Candyland Props 3 DIY Tips & Tricks: Giant Candyland Props!

I was also pretty happy with how my Gumdrops looked. They were a little more complex, but basically I found a bucket (a Jack-o-Lantern candy bucket at the Dollar Store), paper mache’d 3 layers of newspaper over it, painted it pink, then… covered it with Epsom Salts! I saw this on Pinterest for modifying candles, but I thought it would be perfect for a “sugar glaze”. I brushed on a layer of Elmer’s Glue, then rolled the whole Gumdrop into the Epsom Salts. I then sealed it with a couple coats of Clear Coat.

Candland Props 2 DIY Tips & Tricks: Giant Candyland Props!

These are 4 mini chocolates I designed based on real candy wrappers. I took some empty cookie boxes & covered them with aluminum foil. Then I designed the “wrappers” in Photoshop and cut all the different colors on my Silhouette Cameo & glued it all together. It was fun & I actually learned alot about layout in Photoshop & the Cameo Software.

Candyland Props 4 DIY Tips & Tricks: Giant Candyland Props!

And a couple more candies I made. I did the Hershey’s Kiss by just taping some newspaper together & covering it in aluminum foil. The Smarties looking candy was a tube that I painted white, cut strips of colored paper that I taped on, then covered the whole thing in cellophane. And there are some more paper plate candies that I covered with tissue paper!

Robots 1 DIY Tips & Tricks: Giant Candyland Props!

Robot Me & Robot Husband….

IMG 1948 1024x1024 DIY Tips & Tricks: Giant Candyland Props!

‘stache Me…

18 comments for “DIY Tips & Tricks: Giant Candyland Props!

1. Jacqui
    January 18, 2014 at 5:47 AM

OMG this was precisely what I was looking for! HOW CLEVER AND CREATIVE YOU ARE! And how WONDERFUL you are for sharing! If you have any additional ideas on candy canes, etc., it would be greatly appreciated. As for right now, I’m so happy – and actually, beyond happy, that I have wonderful starting points. What type of paints did you use that were effective on the piping?

• January 21, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Thanks Jacqui!!

I’m actually working my “day job” right now, so don’t have much time to make fun crafty things! Also, I have a new website for my new business that you might want to check out: http://www.AlwaysSugarCoated.com

And as far as the paint for the piping (I’m guessing on the candy cane) I think I used a spray primer (Kilz), then painted it using just basic acrylic craft paints. It takes a few coated of the red cause it doesn’t coat that well, but I hope this helps!!

-Chrissy M.

2. Mary
    October 23, 2013 at 7:51 AM

The senior classa has decided to use a candy theme for prom this year and these idesa are very helpful, thank you for sharing.

• October 23, 2013 at 9:50 AM

That sounds like a TON of fun!!

Chrissy M.

3. September 27, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Liked your sight,I am helping with my granddaughters gymnastic meet decorations ( yes candy land) I made 4 different posses of ginger bread men on cardboard about 4 and a half to 5 foot.Also bot summer kick balls and wrapped in plastic to look like hard candy.Pvc pipe painted and wrapped in plastic to look like smarties.big kisses,but would like to see if I can handle your gum drops they are very cute.oh and styrofoam painted and skinny PVC to look like suckers- thinking about tackling pez too ? Well thanks for all the great tips. Kierras grams :)

• October 11, 2013 at 5:55 AM

Thank You! Good luck with your giant candies! Now that I think back on it, I could probably do some even better props, but unfortunately I don’t have a little girl hanging around that absolutely NEEDS giant candies :(

*PEZ is a FANTASTIC idea!!!!!!! <3 <3

-Chrissy M.

4. Michelle Jessop
    August 29, 2013 at 9:14 PM

My company is involved in a Christmas charity for children’s hospital. Our three theme is Candyland ,these ideas are PERFECT & not mention inexpensive (LOVE IT!!!) Thanks

• August 30, 2013 at 7:41 AM

Excellent! I’m happy to hear someone can get some really good use from these silly things! HAHA! I’m all about turning trash into treasure (cause I’m really cheap & HATE spending alot of money on supplies!!)

Chrissy M.

5. Shelley
    April 23, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Love your props! I am doing a candy theme party also and have a question regarding your lollipops with the foam pipe insulation..
    I see the red as the foam insulation but what is the white? Or how did you do it to look like that?? I cant figure it out! Help!!
    Shelley

• April 23, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Hi Shelley!

The actual lollypop is the foam pipe insulation. It’s a dark grey color & is hot-glued all around in a spiral shape. THEN… I sprayed the lollypop with some Kilz Primer, & hand painted the whole thing red with a small white (painted) stripe. IT’S ALL PAINTED WITH ACRYLIC PAINT!!!

HAHA! I actually had to go back & look at it to see!

Thanks
      Chrissy M.

6. Angi
    March 16, 2013 at 10:33 PM

I’m doing sets for our Theater Group’s Willy Wonka and these ideas are perfect! Thank you for posting :)

• March 17, 2013 at 12:00 PM

My Pleasure! Good luck with your production!

Chrissy M.

7. Khloe
    January 21, 2013 at 10:27 PM

I have a kids fashion show in March and these DIY tips were very delightful and helpful! Thanks!

• January 24, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Sounds like a TON of fun! Glad I could help, I’m all about cheap & easy props that can make a big statement! If you remember, throw me a pict when you get some done!

Thanks!
      Chrissy M.

8. Renee
    October 24, 2012 at 9:40 AM

OMGosh!!! This is PERFECT!!! I’m doing a candy themed shoot and didnt want to spend a fortune making props.

I will so be using these ideas!!

• October 25, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Glad I could help Renee! I’m all about being super creative without spending a TON of $$$! If I were to do it again, I think I would have focused more on making giant candies out of boxes or cardboard, then wrapping them in colored paper, tissue paper, & cellophane. These are great “fillers” to go around your HERO pieces!!

Chrissy M.

• Samiirah
        June 26, 2013 at 7:49 AM

Thanks for posting this. I can’t wait to try some out.
        My baby girl was 1 the day after Christmas but we didn’t get to have a party but I’m throwing her one this August at home.
        The theme is pink dolls house so I would love to try and make the big gummy drop! And a big candle and lollipops. ♥

• June 26, 2013 at 11:32 AM

No problem! I think the giant candies are the easiest to make (and super cute)! Thanks for visiting & hope you have a super fun party! Happy… Birthday? to your baby girl!!

Chrissy M