Cutting Felt on the Silhouette Cameo Die-Cutter Machine!

So I got my birthday present in the mail yesterday from my husband (actually I ordered it, he just paid for it). I got a Cameo Silhouette Die Cutting Machine! I’ve been interested in the die-cutters since my cousin-in-law got a Cricut & I was fascinated in how I could use one.

I didn’t get the Cricut for one main reason: you can’t cut your own images on it, only their own images from the cartridges. So I decided on the Silhouette Cameo. I liked that it has software to create images & it was pretty affordable before you get to the industrial-like cutters.

Silhouette Cameo Felted Chicken 300x158 Cutting Felt on the Silhouette Cameo Die Cutter Machine!

My new TOY! Silhouette Cameo, die cutting machine!

I was super excited to see what my machine could do, especially with FELT! I know that a lot of people say that you can’t cut felt with these kind of machines, but I did some research & found some other tutorials on how to do it. The main thing you need in order to cut felt on a die cutting machine (like the Silhouette Cameo, Cricut, Sizzix, etc) is to stabilize the fabric with interfacing.

I tried two different kinds of interfacing for my felt: Totally Stable by Sulky & Heat’n Bond. The main different between these two is that one is removable so no sticky residue, the other is permanent. These differences also affect the way they cut on the machine….

Felt Interfacing Felted Chicken 94x300 Cutting Felt on the Silhouette Cameo Die Cutter Machine!

So this stuff is interesting because you iron it on, it stabilizes the fabric for cutting, then it kinda just rips off the back, leaving just the felt. I liked the idea of this so that I could cut pieces for needle felting & not have the sticky webbing left on the back.

That’s the GOOD NEWS… now the bad news…

This interfacing is so thick that it doesn’t allow for clean cutting on the die-cutter. The finished piece has to be cut out with scissors & it look a little “smooched”, loss of details, etc.

I think it has it’s applications, like if I need to cut a lot of simple shapes for a needle felting sculpture, then I can cut them on the machine, trim them out, & still save a ton of time!

Here is a screen shot of the settings I used on the machine for cutting felt. I think the general setting can be used for any of the die-cutters like the Cricut, too.

Basically I set the machine on the Deepest Blade setting, the Thickest Material setting, pretty much the Slowest Cutting speed, & on Double Cut. A variation of these setting should work for you, but you might have to experiment with your specific machine.

Cutter Settings Cutting Felt on the Silhouette Cameo Die Cutter Machine!

Settings on the computer to cut felt on the Silhouette Cameo

Cutting Felt 1 Felted Chicken Cutting Felt on the Silhouette Cameo Die Cutter Machine!

Iron on the interfacing onto the back of the felt.

Cutting Felt 2 Felted Chicken Cutting Felt on the Silhouette Cameo Die Cutter Machine!

Load the felt (with interfacing down on the mat) into the cutter.

Cutting Felt 3 Felted Chicken Cutting Felt on the Silhouette Cameo Die Cutter Machine!

Kinda messed up, but you can see how it almost cuts through.

Cutting Felt 4 Felted Chicken Cutting Felt on the Silhouette Cameo Die Cutter Machine!

Just needs a little clipping to get it out

Cutting Felt 5 Felted Chicken Cutting Felt on the Silhouette Cameo Die Cutter Machine!

Not great detail, but will work for some projects.

Not great detail, but will work for some projects.

The other type of interfacing I tried was Heat’n Bond. This worked PERFECT… but… you’re left with an iron-on adhesive layer on the back of the felt. This could be good if you are using it for flat pieces, or or sewing it on as an appliqué, but bad if you want to see both sides of the felt.

Cutting Felt 6 Felted Chicken 286x300 Cutting Felt on the Silhouette Cameo Die Cutter Machine!

*Be sure to pull off the paper backing before you place on mat* PERFECT! Just peel off the extra felt after it’s done cutting.

Cutting Felt 7 Felted Chicken 224x300 Cutting Felt on the Silhouette Cameo Die Cutter Machine!

Samples of felt cut with the Silhouette Cameo, with Heat-N-Bond Interfacing

I’m also excited about using this to make fun paper crafts, so business related. I think it will be a fun tool to open up new possibilities. So I’m off to try & make a real piece using this beast!

29 comments for “Cutting Felt on the Silhouette Cameo Die-Cutter Machine!

1. Heather
    October 9, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Would Wonder Under with the paper backing work?

2. Tsetsgee
    March 21, 2013 at 7:01 AM

Thank you Chrissy, I just bought cricut. I’ll try cut felt and tell you soon:)

• March 25, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Please! My Cousin-in-Law has one & I’m sure she’d love to hear how it goes!! Good Luck!

Chrissy M.

3. Tsetsgee
    December 26, 2012 at 6:40 AM

Hi, I’m writing from Mongolia6 Please help me, I want to buy cricut for cutting felt. But I don’t know how cut felt by cricut. Could I use freezer paper for cutting felt?

• December 29, 2012 at 7:48 AM

I’m actually not sure how well the Cricut will cut felt, I own the Cameo Silhouette. Others have said that using freezer paper does work to stabilize the felt enough to cut it, although I have never tried this specific technique, I have only tried using the iron-on fusible interfacing. So sorry I could not be more help :(

I think the main tip would be to (first stabilize the felt) then use a high, deep blade cutting setting & see how it works! It might take a lot of experimenting to get it right.

Chrissy M.

4. November 23, 2012 at 2:05 PM

I Love you thank you very much, gonna buy that Heat ‘n Bond interfacing !! thank you again NOW my machine is useful hehehe ^^ or soon, so exited to try it :D

• November 24, 2012 at 8:59 AM

HAHA! Your welcome! I’ve actually been using mine all week to make PAPER signs for a cousin’s Birthday Party! Once the family knows what you are able to do, they won’t give you a break!

5. Emily
    October 22, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Hey, thanks for this! I just bought a Cameo and was wondering about felt! Have you tried cutting Eco-felt? I’m wondering how plastic fibers hold up and if it’s going to wreck my blade… Eek.

• October 23, 2012 at 7:51 AM

Hey Emily, That’s what I cut on the Cameo, Eco-Felt! That’s the cheapie ¢25 felt that you can buy at Michael’s, right? I’ve tried to cut wool felt on the Cameo, DOES NOT WORK! It’s too fluffy, the blade won’t make a cut. But the thinner plastic stuff is pretty good. You might have to trim it out alittle, but with a fresh-ish blade it cuts well. And with regards to the blade, I don’t know why it would be any worse on it than cutting card stock. I only cut felt & card stock on my cameo & after 5 months, I’m noticing it’s about time to change my blade. Still cuts paper well, but having a tough time with the felt. Might get 2 blades: the old one for paper & a new one for felt. Hope this helps!

Chrissy M.

6. October 17, 2012 at 5:34 PM

I haven’t tried with freezer paper yet (honestly totally forgot LOL) but just as an FYI sent it was mentioned here, the “new” fabric blade is the same exact blade as the original, just in a different color housing so you don’t mix them up (same idea as keeping certain scissors for fabric only) but it won’t cut any differently.

• October 18, 2012 at 7:26 AM

Thanks for the update on that fabric blade Candi! I forgot about it (and the freezer paper) too! I guess that makes sense about it being a different color, easy way to just see which blade is which.

And I totally know about keeping fabric-only scissors! I’ve had to yell at my hubby for using the “GOOD” ones to cut open his beef jerky!!! Grrrr…

Chrissy M.

7. soo
    October 17, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Thanks for this post! I just tried felt for the first time in my Cameo and it cut like a dream! I had heard so many people say it couldn’t be done that I’d abandoned the idea until I found this. WooHoo!

• October 17, 2012 at 5:32 PM

YEA! You’re welcome Soo! I was just trying to cut some felt on my Cameo today… I think it might be time to change my blade, it’s not cutting as nicely as it originally did. I’m afraid that cutting felt might be harsh on the blade, just to warn you!

BTW – You have some great ideas on your blog! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Poker Dog! SO funny!!!!!
      I haven’t looked into CAP, but I like the ideas you pulled off with it!

Chrissy M.

8. Annie
    October 10, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Hi there,
    Thanks for your great tutorial, and I was just wondering when you peel off the heat and bond interfacing, what way up should I load it into the machine? Webbed side up or webbed side down? Thanks :-)

• October 10, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Thanks Annie! That would be WEB SIDE DOWN. That way the felt is stabilized & won’t shift around on you.

9. Rebecca
    September 25, 2012 at 7:37 AM

Thank you so much for posting this! I have been playing with the idea of buying a silhouette cameo for my felt appliques and you have now convinced me! Did you use the regular blade or the fabric blade?

• September 25, 2012 at 7:43 AM

Your Welcome Rebecca! I haven’t gotten the chance to try out the Fabric blade, so I am still using the regular blade & it works. I saw they started selling them recently, but haven’t had the chance to try it out. If you do, let me know, I’m curious about it!! Thanks!

Chrissy M.

10. July 26, 2012 at 7:05 AM

Thanks for the post, I had tried cutting felt with my expression way back when, had my best luck using wool blend & a couple layers of freezer paper (which does peel back off easily), I haven’t had a chance to play with it on the Cameo yet but since my little one is 2 now I’d love to make her a giant felt board so I’m hoping I can get something to work… I’ll report back and if you get a chance to try freezer paper let us know how that goes!

• July 26, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Thanks for the tip Candi! Next time I’m at the grocery store, I’ll pick some freezer paper up. I did cut some white WOOL BLEND felt on the machine & it cuts great, but I really like color. When I tried to dye the felt, it made it too fluffy to cut. That’s how I ended up with just the regular craft felt, it comes in so many yummy colors!

Sounds like you have a great idea in mind! I’ve seen felt boards before & think they are adorable! It’s so easy to make kids toys outta felt! Good Luck & let me know how it goes for you!

11. Nay
    June 16, 2012 at 3:20 PM

I bought the wrong stuff the first time. Went back and got the Heat N Bond adhesive instead of the interfacing.
    I put the Media to: New Media
    Speed: 1
    Thickness:33
    Double Cut and Using the Mat.

It worked partly. I still had to cut by hand around some of the curves, but for the most part it worked!

• June 17, 2012 at 7:25 AM

Glad to hear it! It can be testy, I’ve been experimenting all week with cutting & I’ve found that even the COLOR of the felt affects the way it cuts. Don’t ask me why, it might be how compact the fibers or fluffy the fibers are.

I did an official experiment that I’ll post next week with 2 different colors, and 3 different types of interfacing. The Heat N Bond seemed to work the best over all.

But then later I cut a completely different color & it barely cut through. AARRGGGG…. But you’re right, having to cut it a little does is better than tracing every piece out & cutting from scratch! Thanks for the update!

12. Nay
    June 10, 2012 at 9:28 PM

I went out and bought Heat N Bond interfacing and it did not work with my Cameo. Mine didn’t have the paper back to peel away. Not sure what kind of Heat and Bond that is. Sad :(

• June 11, 2012 at 6:55 AM

Hmmm… That’s weird… I just looked up Heat’n Bond Ultra Hold Iron On-Adhesive (it’s the one with the red label). It’s description says Ultrahold Iron-On adheisve is a paper backed sheet of solid heat activated adhesive. It’s the one that is for double sided adhesion, and has what looks like “webbing” on the back side. It looks like there is no paper, but if you pick at it for a while, you’ll see that it does peels off. This one cut pretty perfect on the Cameo, but even then, you might have to scissor cut a few parts. With as much felt cutting that I want to do, even this little bit of pre-cutting saves me time.

Also be sure you have the blade turned to 10, then speed 2, and double cut! It might take some experimenting, but I hope this helps!

13. Nay
    June 10, 2012 at 6:41 PM

I have been trying to figure this out forever! Thank you! I am going to give it a shot!

14. June 6, 2012 at 8:51 AM

What fun! Have you considered trying a water-soluble stabilizer? I haven’t played with it myself but I think it could be an interesting experiment.

Can’t wait to see what you do with all these cut-outs.

• June 6, 2012 at 10:59 AM

I have looked at it, but didn’t have any on hand. It’s a great idea, cause a lot of what I want to do with the cut outs might end up being stiffened with watered-down glue. So it would be a perfect option. I’ll pick some up at the fabric store this weekend! Thanks!